Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Lord_Evil...  
Full Name  
Nickname Lord_Evil 
State/Province, Country Baden-Wurttemberg   Germany
GD Gathering City Ulm, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1380  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/27/2004 8:32:02 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
using client allocator in library Hi, I'm currently working on getting my libraries to use an allocator that might be provided by client code. The allocator basically supports functions like void* allocate(size_t) and void free(void*). Using it could be done as follows:... 
Posted August 21, 2009 4:35:55 AM
memory compaction in c++ Hi, I'm planning to enable my custom memory manager to compact its managed memory. IMHO one of the main problems is how to update pointers if objects are moved. Using handles that should not be that big a problem, but I'd like to use poi... 
Posted May 6, 2009 8:32:00 AM
OpenGL 3.0/3.1 glXxxPointer Hi, I was just reading in the spec that glXxxxPointer functions (except glVertexAttribPointer) have been deprecated in 3.0 and removed in 3.1 (not using the compatibility api). Until now I was using those functions to bind individual component... 
Posted March 25, 2009 11:52:35 AM
Porting Engine from C++ to C# as a whole or only partially? This recent thread inspired me to think about porting my engine from C++ to C#. I already posted my question in said thread (see page 7) but was adviced to open a new thread. For those that don't want to read the other thread I'll summarize my... 
Posted March 10, 2009 1:47:47 PM
Java3D overlay Hi there, Does anybody know how to draw a 2D overlay on a Java3D Canvas3D? What I'm trying to do is draw a selection frame when dragging the mouse. I can't/don't want to do this in 3D (i.e. lines at depth 0) since the scene should not b... 
Posted January 14, 2009 10:22:34 AM
Java3D unprojection Hi, I have another question on Java3D. For my camera class I want to provide a screenToWorld() method that takes the mouse position and a depth and returns the corresponding world coordinates. The problem is that I can't find any proper metho... 
Posted December 17, 2008 10:21:37 AM
Java3D timebased movement Hi, I'm having difficulties with timebased movement in a Java3D visualization app. Since the application is for visualization purposes it doesn't have a constant frame rate or notion of a "tick". So when I want to move the camera using the key... 
Posted December 9, 2008 10:16:04 AM
Intel 945GME graphics driver linux Hi, it's me - again [headshake] - Since I started recently to port my engine to linux I now face the problem of sufficient OpenGL drivers for my notebook. Here I run openSuSE 11.0 and glxinfo says it supports OpenGL 1.3. However, I need at least... 
Posted October 23, 2008 3:58:24 PM
Runtime linking shared objects Hi there, I recently started to port my engine from Windows to Linux using Eclipse CDT. However, I have a problem linking/finding the shared objects at runtime. I know I could install the *.so files to /usr/lib but to do that I need root rights... 
Posted October 14, 2008 5:34:20 PM
J2ME Database Hi there, Does anyone know of a good J2ME compatible database that meets the following requirements? - free, no shareware or trial version - good performance - preferably portable I'm developing for a Windows Mobile 5.0 device if the datab... 
Posted October 14, 2007 4:15:05 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
My First Game: "Paipa Mundo" UPDATE 06/01 Now is in English An update on the controls: It's better now, but I have a new "problem": I use a German keyboard, so z and y are interchanged. Thus I'd have to use the keys x, c and y on your keyboard, which I can't handle [smile] 
Posted January 7, 2011 7:53:29 AM
2D Texture Arrays I've not used texture arrays myself yet, but you seem to just pass one texture atlas to the shader. So you always get the same layer, no matter what you set coord.z to. (From the extension description: layer = max (0, min(d - 1, floor (coord.p +... 
Posted January 7, 2011 7:46:13 AM
How to correctly approximate a sphere ( collisson sphere ) to an object, say cube? Why do you want to have a collision sphere for single faces? If you want to get a collision sphere for an arbitrary object, there are several simple ways, one being to caluclate the bounding box and wrap that with a sphere. Thus the sphere sh... 
Posted January 7, 2011 3:21:34 AM
My First Game: "Paipa Mundo" UPDATE 06/01 Now is in English Another point i noticed (not sure if already stated though): It's not always obvious where you can jump on and where not. For example, the first time a balloon hangs almost at the top edge of the screen, I didn't realize that there were bran... 
Posted January 5, 2011 8:00:00 AM
Simple? miror reflection Can you post some code using the [source] tags? 
Posted January 5, 2011 7:09:50 AM
OpenGL 2.0 You need to be more specific on where you get that message and what you want to do. Did you check that OpenGL 2.0 is supported by your driver at all? What's the result of if (GLEW_VERSION_2_0) ... ? Additionally, since you already hav... 
Posted January 5, 2011 5:44:46 AM
OpenGL 2.0 OpenGL can't be downloaded, just the header libraries for it. The implementation is provided by your driver. Try using libraries like GLEW to get OpenGL extensions/functions. GLEW also provides a command line tool that queries your driver for wh... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:57:26 AM
Summing pixels within triagle? Well, fragment shader operations are independent of each other, so you can't just sum the colors in a fragment shader directly. Maybe you can write the sum to an intermediate buffer, e.g. a texture, but I'm not sure that's possible. Could you use... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:12:01 AM
Summing pixels within triagle? You'd need to access the exact pixel positions and account for corner cases (like a pixel being on the edge of a triangle, maybe just touching it). Additionally, since the triangle's size in pixels depends on the resolution, the onl... 
Posted January 5, 2011 3:24:13 AM
glTranslatef not giving me expected results. Am I using it incorrectly? Matrix operations are not allowed within a glBegin/glEnd block, so you need to use two blocks instead. On the other hand, since you're using immediate mode (which btw is discouraged and deprecated since OpenGL 3.x) you could calculate the transfor... 
Posted January 5, 2011 3:17:23 AM
View All Replies Made By This User